The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization that was created after World War II to strive to prevent new international conflicts in the future. The world celebrates United Nations day every October 24 to honor the international organization promoting human rights, social progress, and world peace.
The UN was originally formed by 51 countries. These countries work together to maintain peace, promote sustainable development, protect human rights, uphold international law and deliver humanitarian aid to people in need. Today there are 195 member countries!
The UN at Tessa
The United Nations are especially close to our hearts as our vision for the future is very much in sync with theirs: to contribute to building a peaceful, collaborative world, in which we all can learn from each other. Each year we celebrate with student performances in Spanish and French and other activities related to various countries of the world. Our students and teachers are dressed in national dress representing over 20 countries worldwide.
This event also contributes to raise awareness of human diversity among our students, but also in the city: this year, Mayor Bhalla, will address the assembly! We will also have a performance of Irish folk music / international music by the talented Shan and Dan.
A few facts about the UN
United Nation’s Four Main Goals:
The United Nation’s four main purposes are to:
- United Nations maintains worldwide peace and security.
- Developing good relations among nations.
- Encourage cooperation between nations to solve economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian international problems.
- Provide a forum to bring countries together to meet the purposes and goals of the UN.
How to Celebrate UN Day!
To celebrate, we have to think about many years of history, struggle and achievements. Today is not just a day of looking back in history, it is a day to take note of what the UN is currently doing to build a better life for everyone on the planet, and how it plans to continue like this in the future. Let’s take a moment today to consider the incredible impact that the United Nations has had in every corner of the world for more than 70 years.
Here are some ideas to celebrate UN Day:
- This day you can wear your national costume!
- Discuss the importance of cultural diversity with your co-workers, friends or family.
- Post about this day on social media along with your thoughts about this day.
- Check out if there are any cultural activities taking place in your neighborhood and attend one.
- Organize an international potluck to explore the traditional dishes of other cultures.
- Recycle! The UN is very committed to protecting the environment.