If you’re a working parent, you know how important it is for your child to stay busy, content, and safe in an educational and fun environment when school is over, while you’re still at work. After-school activities can also be beneficial for children whose parents do not work during after-school hours.
There are several advantages for enrolling children in after-school programs, such as:
- Enhancing academic performance
- Providing them with a place to study and do homework
- Giving peace of mind to parents who have to work
- Offering social skills as children learn to interact and play with their peers
- Providing consistency in a young child’s daily schedule
- Relieving boredom—As a result, children are more prone to stay out of trouble.
Fortunately, Jersey City parents have several options when it comes to choosing high quality after-school activities for their children. Here are six of the best after-school activities for children in Jersey City, and additional tips you may want to take into consideration.
Tiny Greenhouse (498 Jersey Ave, Jersey City)
- Tiny Greenhouse is an art studio that focuses on developing a child’s creativity through play.
- This program is intended for young children, ranging in age from 15 months to eight years old.
- It’s a nature-friendly art studio that offers classes in arts and crafts.
- Other features include holiday and summer camps, along with customized birthday parties.
Jersey City Dance Academy (107 West Side Ave, Jersey City)
- As one of Jersey City’s most comprehensive dance academies, Jersey City Dance Academy (JCDA) includes classes in hip hop, ballet, modern dance and other dance styles.
- Classes are offered for children, starting at age two years old to teens.
Bambino Chef (213 Newark Ave, Jersey City)
- Bambino Chef believes in teaching young children the importance of knowing how to cook.
- Children learn how to create tasty, nutritious and fun recipes, which can lead to a lifelong interest in cooking.
Three Little Birds (16 Erie St, Jersey City)
- Three Little Birds offers a wide range of creative activities, making it an ideal after-school program for children.
- Programs include everything from an art lab, crafting, sewing, ballet and more.
My Gym – Jersey City (252 9th St, Jersey City)
- Various fitness classes, according to age groups, are available at My Gym.
- Classes in martial arts are a huge perk. In fact, this is one of the most popular after-school programs and winter classes.
Club 1050 (1050 Kennedy Blvd, Bayonne, New Jersey)
- The main priority at Club 1050 is helping students with their homework.
- Weekly fitness, which is provided in a park, gym or pool, is another feature.
- A game room offers game-zone activities for children.
- This after-school program provides a structured, safe environment for children, ranging in age from Pre-K through 8th grade.
- Transportation is available for students from Bayonne schools and certain Jersey City schools to the Jersey City Center.
- Club 1050 is open during school holidays and half days, besides other occasions when schools are closed.
Things to Consider When Choosing the Right After-School Program
- When considering the best after-school program, be sure it includes some free time for children, in addition to structured activities. Consider how children need some time to unwind and relax after being in school all day.
- However, make sure any unstructured time allows children to develop socially and explore their own unique interests.
- Make sure any after-school program you’re considering has enough workers for the number of children enrolled. In other words, it should have a low adult to student ratio as this gives children more individual attention.
Are you looking for a preschool for your little one? You can’t find a better preschool than Tessa International School, based in Hoboken, New Jersey. In addition to providing an extraordinary preschool education for young children, we also offer after-school language classes as well as before and after-school care. Please contact us and find out more about all we have to offer.